The eggless strawberry mousse is a crowd pleaser. Whenever I have guests visiting me, I usually choose desserts that are eggless.
Most of the time, we have mixed crowds consisting of vegetarians as well as non-vegetarians. My friends who are vegetarians have problems with desserts containing eggs. This is the reason why I started coming up with pure veg versions of the dishes that I like, especially the desserts.
It is less time consuming for me as I don’t have to make two different desserts. And as they are tasty, it satisfies everyone.
About the Eggless Strawberry Mousse
The eggless strawberry mousse is smooth and silky in texture. It just melts in your mouth. And the infusion of strawberry pieces layered in the mousse adds a nice contrast to the sweet taste.
Here is how I make the eggless strawberry mousse.
300g Strawberry – sliced
20 large strawberries – chopped
(for assembly of the dessert)
1/4 cup sugar
1 tin sweetened condensed milk
2 tsp gelatin (veg)
1/4 tsp strawberry essence (optional)
1/4 tsp red food color in liquid form
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/3 cup water
1.5 cup (375g) unsweetened heavy whipping cream (diary)
- Preparing the eggless strawberry mousse
- In a pan, put 300g sliced strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar and cook for 5 minutes at a medium flame.
This step is needed as most of the time the strawberries are tangy. The strawberries will become soft after being cooked in sugar.
- After 5 minutes, turn off the flame and keep it aside to cool. The total amount of this cooked strawberries will be around 1 cup as shown.
- In a medium bowl, add heavy whipping cream and whip the cream till it thickens.
- Chop 20 strawberries and keep them aside for final assembly
- Instructions for eggless strawberry mousse
- In a big mixing bowl pour condescend milk and whip it with an eggbeater. Whip till the condescend milk becomes aerated and light.
- Next, add the strawberry-sugar mix to the condensed milk
- Add 1/2 tsp strawberry essence and whip it till the mix becomes foamy.
- Mix 2 tsp gelatin powder/crystal and 1/3 cup water and rest it for 5 minutes. 5 minutes later microwave the gelatin mix for 30 seconds. The heating of the gelatin mix will melt it.
- Add melted gelatin to the strawberry-condensed milk concoction. Mix it well and freeze for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove the strawberry mix from the refrigerator and add 1 tbsp lemon juice to it. Beat the mix for a minute with an eggbeater to aerate it.
- Next, lightly fold in the heavy whipping cream (mix it very gently – do not whip).
- Assemble and serve the eggless strawberry mousse
- In a small dessert glass, place chopped strawberries at the bottom to form a layer
- Add a layer of mousse on top of the chopped strawberries
- Repeat these layers till the glass is filled.
Gelatin – there are 2 types of gelatin in the market, vegetarian and non-vegetarian. So vegetarians need to be careful when you go to buy gelatin. It is always mentioned on the packet whether the gelatin you are buying is vegetarian or non-vegetarian.
Food color – usually I don’t use food color but a few drops of food color can make your mousse more presentable. For this recipe I have recommended a small amount of food color. You can increase or decrease the quantity of the food color as per your preference.
Food flavor – some people may like added flavor to their desserts. Sometimes I like it as well, but mostly I avoid it as I like to enjoy the natural flavor of dessert. In this recipe I have not used any artificial flavor. It is optional. However, I have provided the quantity of flavor you could use. You can increase or decrease the quantity of the food essence as per your preference.
Resting process after mixing water with gelatin is necessary as the gelatin blooms after mixing with water. Be it either powdered gelatin or crystal gelatin both require 5 minutes resting time