Schezwan Sandwich happens to be my husband’s creation. He made me this sandwich on one of those lazy evenings when I felt like taking a break from the kitchen. But we were hungry and wanted something filling. So, my husband came up with this brilliant combination. The combination of bland with sweet, sour, spicy and creamy is spot on. It is also easy and quick to make.
Sandwich is one dish that is known and made worldwide. It is also one of the recipes that you can be as creative as you can and want. You can combine different kind of sauces, can make veg or non-veg versions or use different kinds of bread with different cheese combinations. As you travel from one country to another country the tastes and combinations of the sandwiches differ. In some countries you will find the sandwiches are more flavorful while in other countries you will find the sandwiches tend to be subtle or almost bland in taste.
Schezwan sandwich is semi spicy. You can adjust the spice level as per your preference. For this recipe, I have used Whole food’s seduction bread.
Seduction bread is made of wheat flour and barley flour with lots of seeds like pumpkin, poppy, sunflower and lot more. This bread enhances the taste of the Schezwan sandwich. However, I know this kind of bread may not be available everywhere. In such cases, you may substitute this with any bread of your choice. My husband has used Avocado (his favorite) in this sandwich, so it is very creamy and filling. Sauces used in this sandwich gives it spicy kick as well as flavor. This dish is also very healthy, full of fiber, protein, vitamins and minerals.
While sharing this sandwich recipe I am also sharing with you my Herb & Garlic butter recipe. I love homemade herb & garlic butter, it tastes and smell much better than the store bought one. I will highly recommend to make your own herb & garlic butter as it takes just 2-3 minutes of your time.
So, try this sandwich and let me know if it was your tummy to heart moment.
10 slices of Sandwich bread or seduction bread
Ching’s Schezwan Chutney
3 tsp Avocado oil
1 large Onion – sliced
1 large Capsicum, sliced
2-3 large Avocado, peeled and sliced
Walnuts, coarsely chopped
Ingredients for garlic butter
1/2 cup butter (room temperature)
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp chives
Salt as per taste
1/2 tsp garlic paste
- In a bowl add butter, thyme, oregano, black pepper, chives, pinch of salt and garlic paste. Mix everything together thoroughly and keep it aside.
- In a pan pour 1/2 tsp oil. Add sliced capsicum and sprinkle a pinch of salt.
- Lightly sauté the capsicum for around 10 mins. Remove capsicum from the pan and keep it aside.
- In the same pan used for capsicum, pour ½ tsp oil and caramelize the sliced onion.
- Take care not to burn the onions. Keep the caramelized onions aside.
- Take 2 slices of bread. Apply the garlic butter on one side of both the slices.
- Next, apply schezwan chutney on one slice and tomato ketchup to the other slice
- On the bread slice with schezwan chutney put slices of sautéed capsicum.
- Next, add caramelized onions
- Next add sliced avocado.
- Next sprinkle salt and black pepper powder on avocado.
- Sprinkle nuts and seeds on top.
- In the end put the slice of bread with tomato ketchup on top of avocado facing down. Your sandwich is ready to be served.
Note : you can grate some cheese on top of the sandwich as well.