Bread Medley is a simple, flavorsome and filling breakfast. It is a perfect recipe for a cool sunny morning that goes well with a cup of dark roast hot coffee. It is quick to make and leaves your tummy satisfied.
Inspiration for Bread Medley
Life is full of memories and my recipes are a reflection of it. Taking inspiration from smallest incidents is what makes your food amazing. Simplest of recipes become finger-licking delicacies because you put something more than the seasoning – you prepare the dishes infusing your feelings. Many of you may have noticed that when your mood is good while you are cooking, your food turns out great. Whereas when cooking in a foul mood, you would do everything right but still the food you prepare would not taste as good.
Bread medley is one such recipe that I took out of my memory bank. I remember my mother making this breakfast when we were kids. This would be her response whenever we demanded something different for breakfast in place of plain toast or bread with jam.
About Bread Medley
The simplicity of this breakfast recipe allows for some variations. Some people like to make this dish with spicy masala, while others prefer without it. For this variation, I have chosen to make this medley without spicy masala.
This dish is also known by a few other names in India – Bread Bhaji and Bread Upma being a few of them.
Enjoy this amazingly simple breakfast with hot tea or coffee and let me know if this was your tummy-to-heart moment.
8 slices of white sandwich bread (257 – 260g)
4 small green chillies (6-7g)
12 curry leaves
1/4 tsp asafetida (hing)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup grated coconut
1 tbsp cilantro (coriander leaves), chopped
170g onion sliced
2 tbsp + 2 tsp vegetable oil / avocado oil
1/3 tsp sugar
1/4 cup water
- In a wok or saucepan pour oil and heat it.
- When the oil is hot enough add mustard seeds. Mustards should crackle in the hot oil.
Note : the crackling of mustard is a sign that they are not raw anymore and you can proceed further.
- Next add cumin seeds which will lightly crackle as well. Flame should be medium level
- Add asafetida (hing). Sauté for few seconds. Take care that all three ingredients do not burn. Therefore, you should be watchful of the temperature of the pan.
- Next add chopped green chilli then curry leaves. Sauté for few seconds.
- Add sliced onion. Sauté it for 2 minutes or till the onion becomes translucent. Add turmeric to the onion mix and stir it.
- Next add diced bread, chopped coriander, salt and sugar. Stir till everything is blended together.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup of water and cover the pan with a lid. Cook for 2 minutes. Then stir and cover again, repeat this stir and cover process till the bread turns crispy on the surface but not too hard.
- Once bread medley is cooked add grated fresh coconut and mix it. Once it is mixed completely your dish is ready to be served.