Palak Crispies is a quick appetizer that is easy to make. It is vegan friendly and happens to be a good conversation starter at parties.
My Inspiration for this dish
I had this appetizer when I was India and went to this chai place – Chaayos – in Mumbai with my husband. While my husband liked their different versions of chai (Indian tea) that they serve, I like their appetizers – especially their palak crispies.
So one day, I decided to make this appetizer at home. The trick was to fry the raw spinach leaves with just enough batter that would stay on the it to keep the leaf from burning up.
About the Palak Crispies
This is a very light appetizer. It is easy on your tummy and will leave you with enough room for a full meal later. The crispiness of the dish will leave you wanting more. As indicated in the recipe, you can garnish your dish with finely chopped raw onions, tomatoes and cilantro and drizzle it with tamarind chutney or tomato ketchup based on your preference. You may even try to drizzle balsamic vinegar if you prefer that.
So, serve the palak crispies with a cup of hot masala chai and enjoy a wonderful and satisfying experience. Try it and let me know if this was your tummy-to-heart moment …
1 medium size onion chopped
1 medium size tomato chopped
Cilantro (Coriander) leaves chopped
- In a bowl add chickpea flour, brown rice flour, salt, turmeric, cumin powder, red chilli powder, pinch of soda. Mix everything.
- Pour water in the mixture and mix. Make a paste. It should have slight thick runny consistency.
- Dip a spinach leaf in water to make it wet. Then dust it with chickpea flour.
Note : this step is necessary for batter to stick and remain attached to leaf while frying.
- Next, dip the dusted leaf in the chickpea batter. Repeat this process with all leaves.
- Then fry the batter dipped spinach leaves in oil on medium flame.
- Remove the fried crispies and place them on a tissue paper to remove excess oil.
- Finally, drizzle tamarind chutney on fried leafs and garnish it with chopped onion, tomato and coriander. Your Palak Crispies are ready to be served.