Kolhapuri chicken sukka is a Kolhapuri style chicken dish. Sukkha means dry in Marathi language. The name thus implies that the recipe is a dry recipe.
This recipe is a fine example of an authentic Kolhapuri dish. Kolhapuri cuisine always packs a spicy punch and the Kolhapuri Chicken Sukka is no different. You will start drooling while making this dish as it releases the aroma of the spices. This recipe is truly a feast for your nose and your taste buds.
Chicken has high water content. For this recipe we cook the chicken in it’s own juices along with small amount of water. The dish gets its flavors from all the spices and other ingredients used while making it. The main ingredient that enhances this dish and makes it awesome is the Kolhapuri masala powder. A good Kolhapuri masala powder gives this dish a wow factor. In this recipe I have used my very own home made fresh Kolhapuri masala powder by Tummy to heart. You can contact me if you would like to get some fresh Kolhapuri masala.
Kolhapuri chicken sukka is a mouthwatering spicy dish. Kolhapur is known for its collection of non-vegetarian entrees. And this recipe is one of the most favored dishes there. Besides the masala, other ingredients that are used while making this gravy is caramelized onion, coconut, poppy seeds, sesame seeds and lots of coriander leaves. This is a very different dish than the one’s you may have had in any non-kolhapuri restaurant.
So, try out this amazing recipe and let me know if this was your tummy to heart moment…
500g raw chicken pieces
1 medium size or 120g onion, sliced
1 medium size, green chilli
4 black peppers
2 tsp sesame seeds
5 green cardamom
1 medium size tomato cut into large pieces
3 tbsp grated dry coconut
3 medium size garlic cloves
½ inch or 2g ginger piece
1 tsp oil for caramelizing onion
3 tbsp oil for gravy
2 tbsp grated fresh coconut
½ inch cinnamon sticks
2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp Kolhapuri masala powder
1 ½ poppy seeds
3/4 tsp salt or as per taste
½ cup chopped coriander
¼ cup water
½ tsp red chilli powder
¼ tsp turmeric powder
- In a pan add 1 ½ tsp oil and heat it. Then add sliced onion and sauté till they are caramelized. Then remove the onion in a plate and keep it aside for further process.
- Next in the same pan dry roast grated dry coconut and keep it aside for further process.
- Then in the same pan put sesame seeds, poppy seeds, green cardamom, cumin seeds, black pepper, cinnamon and clove. Dry roast them all together. Roast lightly till they change color lightly. Later remove keep it aside for further use.
- Next in a mixer grinder add caramelized onion, roasted coconut, ginger, garlic, green chilli, tomato, grated fresh coconut and roasted spices. Grind it to a fine paste consistency. Your masala paste is ready. Then keep it aside for further use.
Note : Do not add water while grinding.
- Next in a pan add 3 tbsp oil and heat it. Oil should be properly heated.
- Then add grinded masala paste and sauté it. Stir it continuously and saute till oil starts to separate from the masala.
- Once the oil starts to separate add raw chicken pieces and stir. Next add coriander, salt and water. Mix everything properly then cover the pan with a lid.
- Cook for 17-20 minutes on medium flame.
- 17-20 minutes later uncover the pan and your Kolhapuri chicken sukka is ready to be served.