Onion pudding is one of my favorite recipes that has always been a big hit every time I had friends over. It is a wonderful side dish that is best served warm. It’s creamy, rich and the addition of cheese makes it a satisfyingly cheesy dish (pun intended). The herbs used in this dish gives it a lot of flavor.
I usually set this pudding in individual small bowls, but you can also set it a large flat bowl and serve it in scoops. Setting this dish in small individual bowls also makes it very presentable during parties. Whenever I have get togethers at my place I usually mix all the ingredients and put it in oven just 30 minutes before the arrival of the guest. Serving it crispy, golden and warm for the best experience.
My Inspiration for Onion Pudding
Going through my old recipe books I came upon my old loyal friend, my tried and tasted recipe list. These are the recipes that have worked out best for me. On top of this list was the name of my favorite pudding, that is Onion pudding. Feeling excited I couldn’t wait to share my this recipe with all of you. There are lot of variations of this recipe out there. But this recipe is little different than your traditional onion pudding recipe. I have used 3 types of herbs, habanero sauce, dijon mustard and to top it all a little liquid smoke to give it a faint smoky flavor. As you go through this recipe you will find it is a very uncomplicated and effortless dish.
So, try out this recipe and let me know if this was your tummy to heart moment.
¼ tsp chives
¼ tsp oregano
¼ tsp black pepper
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp dijon mustard
1 slice of sandwich bread (40 g)
½ tsp habanero sauce
30g cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 tsp liquid smoke
25g salted butter
50g onion, sliced or 1 small size onion, sliced
½ cup half & half
2 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 400-F or 200-C
- In a bowl whisk 2 egg white with an electric beater till a peak is formed. Keep it aside for further use.
- Next apply butter on one side of the bread and then cut it in small pieces.
- Next put the bread pieces in a bowl and apply remaining butter with your hand.
- In a bowl or baking tray place and spread the buttered bread pieces. Keep it aside for later step.
- In a bowl add oregano, thyme, chives, black pepper powder, salt, dijon mustard, habanero sauce, cheese and chopped onion. Mix everything well.
- Next add half & half and stir it.
- Add liquid smoke and blend it.
- Next fold in the foamy egg white.
Note : do not over do the folding process just lightly mix the egg white while retaining most of the foamy consistency of the egg whites.
- Next pour the mix in the bowls equally. Put the bowl in the tray containing 1/4 inch water level.
- Next put the baking tray containing pudding bowls into the oven and bake for 30 minutes at 400-F or 200-C.
- After 30 minutes, your onion pudding is ready.