Saatvik Okra is a quick and simple recipe that has great health benefits. It is ideal for vegans and people who are trying to loose weight.
The term ‘Saatvik’ comes from the sanskrit word ‘Sattva’ – one of the three modes of existence conceptualized under the Indian vedic culture and philosophy.
A Saatvik diet is a high fiber, low fat vegetarian diet. Here, the emphasis of is on healthy living while keeping our minds clear, happy and at peace. It achieves this by incorporating light, soothing and easily digestible food. These foods produce calmness and nobility among people who consume them.
The Saatvik Okra is one such healthy recipe that is low in fats and rich in nutrients. I learnt this recipe from my mother. It is one of my favorite go-to recipe when I crave for something simple.
To preserve the ‘Saatvik’ nature of the dish, I recommend using fresh and organic ingredients. Try to consume the dish within 3 hours of cooking for extracting maximum health benefits from your meal.
“Food is a dynamic force that interacts with the human on the physical body level, the mental-emotional level, and also the energetic and spiritual level. The study of nutrition is the study of the interaction with and assimilation of the dynamic forces of food by the dynamic forces of our total being.”
~Gabriel Cousens, M.D., Spiritual Nutrition and The Rainbow Diet
Enjoy the dish and let us know if this was your tummy to heart moment.
250g organic Okra chopped
1/8 tsp asafetida
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 cup fresh coconut grated
7-8 curry leaves
4 medium sized green chillies
2 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp fresh cilantro – chopped
- In a pan heat oil on medium flame.
- Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds to it. Mustard seeds should crackle when put in oil.
Note: crackling of mustard seeds is necessary. It is an indication that the mustard seeds are no longer raw.
- Next add Asafoetida / Hing. Sauté it for few seconds till it changes it color slightly. Take care not to burn it. Add chopped green chilli and sauté it for few seconds.
- Then add curry leaves. Sauté curry leaves for few seconds as well. Next add ¼ tsp turmeric powder. Stir it.
- Add chopped okra and salt. Mix it well with the masala.
- Add chopped cilantro and stir it well. Cook the okra thereafter for 12-15 minutes or till the okra is properly cooked. Do not cover the pan with a lid. Stir the okra after every minute so that it is cooked evenly and does not get burned.
- Finally, add grated fresh coconut once the okra is properly cooked. Blend it properly and then a minute later turn off the flame. Your Saatvik Okra is ready to be served. Enjoy this dish with chapatis, phulkas or puris.
You can squeeze fresh lemon juice to enhance the flavor of your dish as per your taste.
Simple and tasteful with great presentation.
Keep it up.