The nutty avocado shake is inspired from a drink I had a year back at a middle eastern restaurant. That drink was the baklava milk shake. The taste of that milk shake was so good that even a year later I still remember the taste of it.
So when making milk shake at home, I wanted to recreate the taste that was so fresh in my memory. I started experimenting with the ingredients that would get me close to the baklava milkshake. I had cashews, almonds and walnuts that would provide the nutty texture that I wanted. And I had avocados that are perfect for making a creamy shake.
My fascination with Avocados
My husband introduced me to Avocados when I came to the US. Though I had heard about the superfood while I was in India, I never ventured to try it. It was after I landed in the US that I tried avocados and simply fell in love with the fruit. Its bland taste and creamy texture makes is a very versatile fruit for many dishes. Crush it with lime, garlic, tomatoes and spices and you have guacamole. Mix it with schezwan chutney and you have Avocado Schezwan dip that is perfect dip for pita chips. Put it between two slices of bread with other ingredients and you have an excellent Avocado Sandwich.
About Nutty Avocado Shake
At the very first sip of the nutty avocado shake you will be hit with the vanilla flavor. And then one by one your mind will open to other flavors. The nutty texture of the drink is reminiscent of the middle-eastern baklava shake.
When entertaining a small group of friends visiting you, the Avocado-nut thick shake is an ideal drink to enjoy. A small glass of avocado-nut thick shake is very filling. So coupled with a light snack you are good to go.
So, try this recipe and let me know if it was your tummy to heart moment.
2 cups whole milk
6 tbsp milk powder
1/4 cup water
4 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp green liquid color (optional)
5 pitted dates
1/2 + 1/8 tsp vanilla essence
1 tbsp corn starch
40g cashews, coarsely chopped
40g walnut, coarsely chopped
1 1/4 cup evaporated milk
1 cup canned pineapple
1 medium size avocado
- For home made cooked pineapple
- In a pan add 550g fresh cut pineapple pieces and add 400 g sugar to it. Cook it on medium flame.
- Cook the pineapple till it becomes beautiful yellow color as shown in the picture. This process takes around 1 hour. You can freeze and use it for other recipes as well.
- For homemade evaporated milk
- In a pan pour 4 cups of milk and boil it on medium flame for about 30 minutes or till the milk is reduced to 1 ¼ cup. Stir it continuously.
- Once evaporated milk is ready, keep it aside to cool. Later keep it in the refrigerator to chill.
- In a small bowl take ¼ cup of water or milk, add 6 tbsp milk powder to it. Mix it well. Remove all the lumps from it and keep it aside.
- In a small bowl mix 1 tbsp cornstarch powder and 2 tbsp water. Keep it aside for further use.
- In a bowl pour boiled water then add 40g almonds. In few seconds the almonds skin starts to loosen up. A minute later remove the almonds from water and peal the skin off. Next coarsely chop the almonds.
- Making the Nutty Avocado Shake
- In a pan pour 1 ½ cup of milk, add 5 dates to it. Boil the mix on medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla essence and liquid green color. Blend the essence and color in the milk.
- Next add milk powder mix to the milk-date mix. Stir it thoroughly. Remove all the lumps.
- Add 4 tbsp sugar. Stir it.
- Next add cornstarch-water mix and stir the milk continuously till there are no lumps left and the milk thicken slightly due to starch.
- Turn off the heat and keep it aside to cool. Once the milk is sufficiently cooled down keep it in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Next, in the container of a mixer grinder add canned or homemade sugar pineapple.
- Remove the dates from the milk and add it to the grinder as well. Grind it together.
- Next add milk mix. Grind the mix at medium speed.
- Add avocado to the mix and grind it till avocado is blended completely with the milk.
- Add evaporated milk and blend it together.
- Add ½ cup milk and blend it.
- Add coarsely chopped dry fruits. Turn on the grinder to the lowest level for 15 sec. Do not grind nuts to paste, just mix it with the milk shake. You should be able to feel the small chunks of nuts in your mouth when you drink.
- Your Avocado-nut thick shake is ready to drink.