Cottage Cheese Bread Rolls is a perfect brunch recipe for the winter weekends. During the cold winter weekends enjoy fresh baked breads stuffed with spicy Indian Cottage Cheese along with a cup of hot masala chai or Indian filter coffee.
I have made the bread for this dish from scratch. If you are a new to the bread making process, I advise you to go through the bread making recipe very carefully. Many feel intimidated by bread making process. Many think it is very complicated. But you don’t need to worry. I have tried to be as precise as possible in this recipe. For better understanding you can also watch the video below that I have added. If you have any doubts feel free to ask any question in the comment section below.
Cottage cheese bread rolls is a perfect addition to my collection of brunch and breakfast items that includes Desi Ghee Sandwich, Masala Pav, Pepper Poppers, Cone-y Delights among others.
About Cottage Cheese Bread Rolls
Cottage cheese bread rolls is a bread roll with stuffing of spiced up cottage cheese mix. It is an easy recipe, though it is a little time consuming. Therefore, I’ll recommend you to make the cottage cheese stuffing a day before and refrigerate it.
On cold winter days, the thing I love the most is a cup of hot coffee with freshly baked bread rolls. Plain Bread rolls are very delicious, especially with salted butter. The stuffed bread rolls however is a euphoric experience.
This recipe is broken into two parts. In first part we will be making cottage cheese stuffing and in the second we will be making bread dough.
Cottage Cheese bread roll is a very flavorful dish. The bread’s subtle taste compliments greatly with cottage cheese stuffing’s strong flavors. All the flavor that comes to this dish is from the stuffing inside. Hence, you need to be little liberal in adding the stuffing. You can also use the bread roll dough recipe to make a great sandwich bread. Having this dish in your dinner menu is a treat for your senses. The dish is visually appealing, smells great and tastes amazing. Plus it is quite filling for the tummy.
The bread rolls engages our senses from the very beginning. When the bread rolls are baking I feel like a kid yearning for its treat. The smell of baking bread rolls is very enticing. And the freshly baked and warm bread rolls taste amazing too. The soft and spongy texture brings smile to my face as it indicates the success of my efforts. The incredible experience of the dish is heavenly.
So, try out this recipe and let me know if this was your tummy to heart moment…
Ingredients For cottage cheese stuffing
4 tbsp vegetable oil or avocado oil
200g paneer or cottage cheese
1 tsp cumin seeds
200g onion, finely chopped
230g tomato, finely chopped
¾ tsp ginger paste
1 ¼ tsp garlic paste
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 ¾ tsp red chilli powder
2 tsp Kolhapuri masala powder
1 ¼ tsp salt
1 ½ granulated sugar
Ingredients for bread rolls
500g refined flour / maida
390 ml water, lukewarm
40g fat, melted
20g milk powder
- Making the cottage cheese stuffing
- In a pan add oil and heat it. Oil should be boiling hot.
- Then add cumin seeds and let it crackle as well.
- Next add mustard seeds and let it crackle.
- Later add chopped onion and sauté it, till it becomes translucent.
- Next add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, Kolhapuri masala powder and ginger-garlic paste to the sautéed onion. And blend it.
- Later add chopped tomatoes and sauté it. Cook till tomatoes becomes soggy. And cook till extra liquid from the tomatoes evaporates little bit.
- Next add salt and sugar and mix it.
- Later add cottage cheese / paneer and blend everything together.
- Next add cilantro and stir. Later cover the pan and cook for 5 minutes on low flame.
- 5 minutes later turn off the flame and keep aside the stuffing to cool.
- Making of bread rolls
- Sieve refined flour, xanthan gum / gluten and milk powder together. Sieve 4 to 5 times. After sieving put the flour mix in the container of stand mixer.
Note : Flour should be fresh and not stale.
Sieving is necessary to integrate all the ingredients together.
- In a bowl mix salt and lukewarm water.
- In another bowl mix lukewarm water and yeast. Mix yeast properly and remove lumps if any. A minute later add sugar and mix it then rest it for a minute.
Note : yeast powder should be fresh.
- Next add yeast mix to flour mix and knead the dough by using dough hook. Knead for a minute on low speed.
- Later add salty water and remaining lukewarm water. Knead for a minute more at low speed.
- Next add melted fat (margarine) and increase the setting to high speed. Knead for 5-8 minutes.
Note : while kneading if you see that the dough is stuck to the surface then stop the mixer and scrape the dough from the surface of the container and start the kneading process again. The blade should constantly knead the dough.
- 5 minutes later do the gluten test of the dough.
Note: whenever you are handling bread dough always keep fat handy to grease your hands.
- Gluten test of the dough – To do a gluten test of the dough stop the mixer. Next take a small quantity of dough and roll it with hand. Later stretch the dough to a translucent sheet. If the sheet tears before it forms into a translucent sheet then you need to knead the dough some more. Then do the test again.
- Later stop the mixer and remove the dough.
- On a flour dusted surface knead the dough lightly with hands. Then roll it into a ball and place in a bowl. Cover the bowl with fresh wrap and rest it for 5 minutes in a warm place.
Note : 5 minutes later you will notice that the dough has risen little bit.
- Next remove the dough and again place it on a dusted surface. Knock the dough lightly and knead it with light hands for few seconds.
- Then roll the dough with a rolling pin in a rectangular shape. Cut the dough in long strips of around 3-inch width.
- Next at one end of the strip place stuffing and roll the dough.
- After rolling over the bread roll cut the extra strip and make rest of the rolls similarly.
- Keep all the pieces on a baking tray or pan.
- Lightly cover the rolls with fresh wrap and keep them in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- 45 minutes later rolls would have swollen in size.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 20 minutes at 370-degree Fahrenheit or 185-degree Celsius.
- 20 minutes later remove the rolls from oven then brush butter on top and keep it on a plate while it is warm.
Note: do not leave the rolls in the hot baking tray after removing from the oven. The remaining heat from the tray tend to harden the bread rolls.
- Your rolls are ready to be served. Serve them warm.
Pingback: Cottage Cheese Bread Rolls – a perfect weekend brunch full of flavors from India - #foodlover