1h & 45 mins
Christmas cake is a traditional recipe that we always make every year during the December holidays.
Christmas holiday is full of celebration, enjoyment and spending time with your loved ones. And it typically involves having extravagantly delicious food. And what is Christmas celebration without fruit cake as a dessert. With all the excitement of holiday season everywhere it inspires me to make some innovative recipes. And this time it inspired me to make a fruit cake with my twist to it. A cake infused with the flavors of brandy and vodka soaked dry fruits. A great way to enjoy your brandy and vodka, I say (ha ha ha… or should I say ho ho ho …)
Generally, the classic fruit cake is soaked in brandy or rum or both. But this recipe is my version of fruit cake. I have used vanilla flavored vodka and I like the taste even more.
About Christmas Cake
While some people choose to boil the dry fruits in water/brandy/rum, some soak it in the alcohol mix for days or weeks. Usually the fruit cake has a strong flavor of cinnamon. However, I like my fruit cake to be light on cinnamon as cinnamon is not among my favorite. But, if you like your fruit cake to have a more pronounced taste of cinnamon, then add extra 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder in the batter.
I would advise to let this cake settle for a day after baking as it enhances the taste. While you can consume the cake as it is, but for people who like it spiked, you can brush strained alcohol on top or drizzle chocolate sauce or dusting of icing sugar. You can choose any decoration based on your preference.
The batter of this cake is not overtly sweet as there are dates, black currant, raisins, apricot and tutti fruity to balance out the sweetness of the cake.
So, try out this recipe and let me know if this was your tummy to heart moment … And wish everyone a Merry Christmas
- For soaking dry fruits
1 cup vanilla flavor Vodka
1 cup brandy
50g Apricot, chopped
50g cashews, chopped
50g almond, chopped
30g black currant
40g tutti fruity
250g dates, chopped
Ingredients For the cake
270g plain flour
3 tbsp Cocoa
130 g unsalted butter, room temperature
200g brown sugar, granulated
2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp instant coffee
3/4 tsp nutmeg powder
¾ tsp cinnamon powder
3 tbsp milk powder
¼ cup hot water
½ tsp ginger powder
1/3 cup plum jam
- Soaking Dry Fruits
- In a tight jar add all dry fruits – cashew, almonds, black current, raisins, dates, apricot, tutti fruity, walnut.
- Next pour brandy and vodka. Close the lid tight and store the jar in the refrigerator till the day and time you are ready to make the cake.
Note – you can soak dry fruits in alcohol days (preferably a few weeks) before making the cake. And the jar should be airtight.
- Making the cake
- Mix coffee, cinnamon powder, ginger powder, nutmeg and hot water.
- Sieve plain all-purpose flour (maida), cocoa powder, baking powder and milk powder.
- In a large mixing bowl cream butter and brown sugar with an electric beater or mixer.
- Next add an egg and blend it with the creamed butter and sugar mix. Repeat the process with remaining 2 eggs, at a time. Aerate the mix by whipping the mix.
- Later add plum jam and mix.
- Then add half portion of coffee mix and half portion of sieved flour mix. Beat both into the egg mix.
- Next repeat the process with the remaining portions.
- Later strain alcohol-soaked ingredients and add it to the cake batter. Mix everything thoroughly.
- Next pour the cake batter in the greased and flour dusted baking container.
- Bake the cake for 1 hour and 40-45 minutes at 150-degree Celsius and 300-degree Fahrenheit.
- Later you can brush the strained alcohol on top or dust icing sugar or drizzle chocolate sauce. And your cake is ready to be served.