Desi Ghee Sandwich is a very filling breakfast with a golden crispy texture. The name of the dish itself is self-explanatory. Another sandwich recipe I shared earlier was the Schezwan Sandwich.
In this dish, desi ghee plays an important role. Generally, sandwiches are made with butter and frankly they taste great. But try this desi ghee sandwich for a pleasant twist. You will love it.
This dish is a fine example of Indian homemade sandwiches. Another prime ingredient (besides ghee) that gives this dish its taste is the Indian coconut chutney. You can use the coconut chutney with many other dishes like south Indian food or even as a dip for barbecued food.
Inspiration for Desi Ghee Sandwich
I stumbled upon the Desi Ghee Sandwich by accident. It happened when I was craving for sandwich but had run out of butter. I was feeling too lazy to go to the store and get some butter. So I began searching for alternatives and decided to use fresh home made ghee. The difference in the taste that was brought about by using ghee instead of butter was heavenly.
Like always, I recommend home made ghee for the best taste. For any sandwich recipe the stuffing has to be little stronger in taste as the bread and veggies balances the taste. The coconut chutney here acts as the balancer. You can adjust the spiciness of the sandwich by adjusting the spiciness of the chutney.
About the Desi Ghee Sandwich
There are four easy steps to make this dish.
- First make coconut chutney
- Next prepare the freshly cut the veggies
- Follow this by assembly
- Finally, toast or grill the sandwich
With the amount of ingredients given, you can make 4 sandwiches. This whole process will take around just 30 minutes of your time from start to end.
So try out this recipe and let me know if this was your tummy to heart moment.
Ingredients for Chutney
50g fresh coconut
4g green chillies
1/4 cup cilantro
3/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 + 1/8 tsp salt
3/4 tsp sugar
3 tbsp water for grinding
Ingredients for Desi Ghee Sandwich
8 slices sandwich bread
1 cucumber, medium size
1 tomato, medium size
1 carrot, medium size
Desi ghee to apply to bread slices
Salt, pepper and chat masala for seasoning
- For Chutney
- In a wet mixer grinder add coconut, cilantro, green chilli, cumin seeds, salt, sugar and water.
- Grind everything to a thick paste. Keep it aside for further use.
- Making the Desi Ghee Sandwich
- Take 2 slices of bread and apply ghee to both the surfaces of both slices.
- Next on one bread apply a thick layer of chutney.
- Next cover the chutney surface with tomato slices.
- On top of tomato slices place cucumber slices.
- Next place carrot slices on top of cucumber slices.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper and chat masala as per your taste and cover it with other ghee applied bread slice.
- Now you can toast the sandwich on a pan or grill it as you like it. You can serve it with little parmesan, or any cheese of your choice grated on top of your sandwich. Your sandwich is ready to be served.
You can add other fresh veggies as per your choice including onions, boiled potatoes, beet root etc.
For shaping the sandwich, I used shape cutters as shown