Okra soup with crispy Okra is a simple and rich recipe which tastes amazing. A conventional dish with an unconventional recipe.
Now I know that Okra is not the first ingredient that pops up when thinking about soups. We think Okra’s slimy nature would be an impediment to the soup recipe. But let me assure you that this soup is not how you are imagining. Follow my recipe to the letter to have a deliciously filling soup that can also be considered as a full meal.
Personally, I love soups and I frequently make a variety of soups at home. Mr. Ping’s Noodle Soup and Carrot Green Soup are some of my other soup recipes. Most of the time, soups are for all seasons. But it is most appreciated during the winter season when you want something that is hot and filling on those cold winter nights. Generally, soups make great part of a meal. But the okra soup with crispy okra is a complete meal in itself. Whenever I make Okra soup that is it – I do not make anything else as this dish is extremely filling and wholesome.
About Okra Soup
This recipe has 3 main components
- First is the soup broth made from milk and rice.
- Second is Okra tadka
- And third is crispy Okras
Let me tell you little bit about the components. While trying to perfect this recipe I tried to make this recipe with rice powder but the consistency did not turn out right. Next I tried it with rice paste and it turned out to be a great way to make this component.
Okra tadka is a strong flavored mix. This mix has to be strong as we do not add any extra flavors to milk mix. All the flavor that is in this soup is from okra tadka.
Crispy okra makes a great addition to creamy okra soup. The crunchy texture adds that something extra to this soup.
So, try out the recipe and let me know if this was your tummy to heart moment…
- For Soup Broth
4 cups milk
6 tbsp rice, soaked in water for 1 hour
- For Okra Tadka
2 1/2 tbsp avocado oil
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
3/4 tsp salt
8 curry leaves
2 tbsp grated fresh coconut
1 tbsp cilantro
3 green chilli, medium size
1 garlic clove, large size, sliced or 3g garlic
- For Crispy Okra
6–8 okra, vertically sliced
3/4 tsp garlic paste
- Making the Soup Broth
- Grind soaked rice in a mixer grinder to a fine paste.
- Pour milk in a pan and heat it. Bring milk to a boiling point and then add rice paste to the hot milk in thin drizzle. Continuously stir the milk with a whisker. Note that no lumps are formed.
- Keep heating the milk and rice mix till the mix thickens.
- Turn off the flame when the milk has thickened and keep it aside to cool completely.
- Making the Okra Tadka
- In a pan/wok add oil and heat it.
- Next add mustard seeds and let it crackle.
Note : oil temperature should be boiling hot and mustard should crackle. Crackling of mustard seeds is an indication that they are no longer raw.
- Later add chopped green chilli, curry leaves and garlic. Sauté them till they become little crispy.
- Next add turmeric powder and stir.
- Add chopped okra and mix everything together.
- Next add salt and cilantro.
- On medium flame cook okra for 10-15 minutes or till the okra is cooked completely and is no longer sticky. Occasionally stir okra so that it does not stick to the pan and get burned. Turn off the flame and keep it aside to cool.
- Making of Crispy Okra
- Take 6 – 8 okra and slice them vertically
- In a wok add oil and heat it.
- Next add garlic and salt. Sauté garlic lightly.
Note : do not burn the garlic.
- Add sliced okra and shallow fry it. Fry okra till it becomes nicely crispy, then remove them and keep it on tissue
- Making the Soup
- In a mixer grinder add now cool milk mix, okra tadka and fresh coconut. Grind it to a very fine consistency. Your soup is now ready.
- When serving, pour the mix into the pan and heat it. Once the soup is heated turn off the flame and your soup is ready to be served.
- Garnish the soup with crispy okras and enjoy it.