Tangy Ice Candy – as the name suggests – is a tangy flavored popsicle made from raw mangos. This recipe is inspired from a traditional Indian recipe and that is ‘Pana’.
Pana is a cold summer drink made from raw mangos. It is a sweet, tangy and salty drink which I couldn’t get enough of in my school days. The tangy ice candy recipe is an extension of the traditional Pana recipe with a twist of my own added to it.
Different places have different tastes to their fruits, vegetable and other food products. Mainly due to their geographical differences in the soil. The raw mangos that you get in India are more tangy than the ones you get in USA. So, when making this recipe do taste the mangos after they have been cooked and add lime juice accordingly to it. We do not want to make the popsicles too tangy.
About Tangy Ice Candy
Making this recipe reminds me of the hot summer days in India. Summer brings my favorite mangos to the market. And tangy pana is easily available at most homes during summer. And I prefer to have my pana frozen. That is where I got my inspiration for the popsicle. To make Tangy Ice Candy sweet I added jaggery to it. To make this Tangy Candy even more yummy I have also added ‘Chaat Masala’.
This is one of the easiest recipes to follow similar to the earlier posted Mocktail Pops.
So, try out this recipe and let me know if this was your tummy to heart moment
1 kg raw green mangoes
100 g jaggery powder
1 1/2 tsp chaat masala
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup water
1/8 tsp thick leaf green food color
2 1/2 tbsp lime juice
- Cook raw mangoes in a instant pot at rice setting or in a pressure cooker till 3 whistles
- Later remove the mangoes from the cooker and place them in a plate to cool for ½ hour
- After cooling peel the skin of the mangoes.
- With a spoon remove the pulp into a bowl.
- Next transfer all the pulp into mixer grinder. Grind the pulp into a fine paste.
- After grinding remove the pulp into a mixing bowl.
- Next add all the given ingredients and blend everything together with a whisker.
- Add green food color and mix it well.
- Next pour the mix into popsicle molds. And keep the molds in freezer for maximum 8 hours.
- After freezing for 8 hours, your Tangy Ice Candy is ready to be served.