Pineapple Mastani has a beautiful combination of flavored milkshake and ice-cream with several toppings like chopped dry fruits, tutty fruity and cherries. This dessert originated in city of Pune situated in Western part of India in the state of Maharashtra. Every time we visited Pune, we would make it a point to have mastani dessert.
Mostly mastani is made using mango flavor. But I always wanted to experiment with pineapple and once my experiment was successful, I couldn’t wait to share it with all of you. And it is very easy to make.
Though mastani is a huge dessert that does not mean that it is a strenuous one. It is a very undemanding and uncomplicated recipe. A worthy addition to my Dessert collection that includes Multi-layered Choco Cake Shake, Kolhapuri Ice Cream Cocktail, Biscuit Pudding among others.
About Pineapple Mastani
I have made pineapple milk shake from scratch. To make this shake I used homemade pineapple crush rather than store bought. I highly recommend you to do the same for the best results. The ingredients and recipe that I have given is best for making 1 cup of pineapple crush.
Pineapple is citric in nature. After cutting some citric fruits tend to become bitter if left out unprocessed or not consumed immediately. To prevent this, I cook the pineapple in sugar and keep it in the freezer allowing me to use it as and when needed. Sugar acts as a preservative and keeps pineapple in good condition for several days. For this recipe, I have made a fresh batch that I use in the assembly of the dessert. While cooking pineapple I have not added lot of sugar as the pineapple I had was naturally sweet. But sometimes pineapple can be very tangy in taste. Adjust the sugar quantity accordingly. But take care to not overcompensate and make it too sweet.
While assembling the dessert, you can experiment with the toppings. I have used a combination of dry fruits, tutti-fruity and green jelly. Generally, jelly is optional for this dessert, but you can be as creative as you like. I have added green jelly as it provides a beautiful contrast to yellow color of the pineapple milk shake and white of vanilla ice cream. Green jelly makes a beautiful pop up color and I personally love it.
So, try out this recipe and let me know if this was your tummy to heart moment…
- Ingredients for Pineapple Crush
320 g pineapple, cut into pieces
(For this whole dessert you will need 1 large size pineapple which is around 750g – 800g after skinning)
- Ingredients for Pineapple Milk Shake
4 cups or 1 lt milk
6 tbsp cornstarch
4 tbsp milk powder
½ tsp pineapple essence
Few drops of yellow color
4 tbsp sugar
- Ingredients for cooked pineapple
400 – 430 pineapple, chopped
½ cup or 110g sugar or castor sugar
Green jelly (optional)
- Making Pineapple Crush
- In a mixer grinder add 320g pineapple and grind it to fine puree consistency.
- Next in a pan add pineapple puree and 100g sugar. And cook.
- Cook for 10 minutes on medium flame while stirring continuously.
- 10 minutes later your pineapple crush is ready and quite thick.
- Turn off the heat and keep it aside.
Note : the crush would have reduced to around 1 cup of thick liquid.
- Making of pineapple milkshake
- In a bowl mix cornstarch powder and ½ cup milk. Mix it well and remove all the lumps. Then keep it aside for further use.
- In another bowl mix milk powder and ½ cup milk. Mix it well and remove all the lumps. Then keep it aside for further use.
- Next in a pan add remaining quantity of milk (around 3 cups) and heat it.
- Once milk reaches boiling point turn the heat to low flame and add milk powder paste, sugar, pineapple essence and yellow color to it. Mix it with whisker so that it is completely blended.
- Later add cornstarch paste to simmering milk in thin drizzle while continuously stirring. Stir properly so that no lumps are left.
- Next add pineapple crush and blend it.
- Later cook till the milk thickens. Then turn off the heat and keep the thickened milk aside till it reaches room temperature.
- When the milk has reached room temperature keep it in the refrigerator for minimum 2 hours.
- 2 hours later remove the milk from refrigerator.
Note : By now the milk will have become very thick and pudding consistency.
- Next put the thickened milk in a mixer grinder and grind it for few minutes till it has reached thick milkshake consistency.
- Cooking pineapple for toppings
- In a pan add 400 – 430g chopped pineapple pieces and sugar.
- On medium flame cook for 8 minutes.
- Later turn off the heat and keep cooked pineapple aside to cool down.
- Assembly of Pineapple Mastani
- In a glass first add pieces of cooked pineapple.
- Next pour in pineapple milkshake
- Then add vanilla ice-cream scoops
- Next add pineapple pieces
- Next green jelly
- Then add chopped dry fruits
- Sprinkle tutti-fruity on top and your Pineapple Mastani is ready …