Daddu’s Pulao with rassa is my father-in-law’s recipe. My father-in-law is an amazing cook (though he does make a mess in the kitchen for us to clean later). But whenever he cooks, he makes some amazing dishes. This tasty combination of pulao with rassa is really great and is one of the first of his recipes that I tried.
There are different varieties of this rice dish. You can make this dish as vegetable pulao using mixed vegetables, or green peas pulao using only green peas. Kashmiri pulao is another variety that contains lots of dry fruits. For spice lovers, you have the tawa pulao made using masala similar to the pav bhaji.
About Daddu’s Pulao with Rassa
Daddu likes to keep his pulao plain and simple. He prefers to have it with the rassa that he makes using potatoes in a thin tomato gravy. Rassa is a marathi word for thin gravy.
So, what to expect when you taste this dish? It a simple rice dish with just the right amount of spices and fragrance of the mild masala used in it. Though this rice is not a strong flavored rice, you can enjoy it without combining it with anything. Also note that pulao tastes best when made in pure ghee.
For those who like to have some gravy with their rice, the accompanying rassa offers layered flavors that perfectly balance the rice. The rassa is mildly spicy and tangy with thin gravy that blends amazingly well with this rice. Both pulao and rassa are very easy and quick to make and they complement each other perfectly.
The rassa also goes well with plain rice and jeera rice. It is a simple recipe for the days when you desire something light and flavorful but not too spicy.
So, try out this recipe and let me know if this was your tummy to heart moment.
Ingredients for Rassa
2 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
1/8 tsp hing / asafetida
3/4 tsp jeera / cumin
3/4 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp kalonji seeds (nigella seeds)
1/8 tsp fenugreek seeds / methi seeds
3 medium size green chilli, chopped
1 inch cinnamon sticks
150g onion, sliced or
1 medium size onion, sliced
200g tomato, chopped
3/4 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
1/4 tsp cardamom powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1-1/2 tsp kolhapuri masala powder
175g potatoes, diced
3 cups water
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup coriander, chopped
1/2 tsp sugar (optional)
1/2 lemon juice to squeezed on top (optional)
- Making the Pulao
- Wash basmati rice.
- Drain the water from the rice. Keep aside the rice for half an hour.
- In a saucepan or a rice cooker add ghee. Heat it.
- Add black cardamom. Sauté it for few seconds.
- Next add sliced onion. Sauté the onion till they become translucent.
- Add chopped cashews. And saute them as well.
- Next add pulao masala. Mix it with rest of the ingredients.
- Next add dry soaked rice and sauté it with the masala.
Note : sauté till the moisture from the rice is evaporated.
- Add water. Stir till there are no lumps of rice left.
- Add salt and stir it.
- Next turn up the flame till water reaches boiling point. Cover the pan with a lid and turn the flame to medium level. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Then turn off the flame and let it sit for 5 minutes.
Note : do not open the lid and let steam escape.
- Next turn on the flame again and let the rice cook for 5 minutes more at low flame.
- Later turn off the flame again and your rice is ready to be served.
- Making the Rassa
- Ground fennel seeds, cumin seeds, cinnamon sticks, cloves and green chilli.
- In a pan or wok add oil. Heat it properly.
- Next add yellow mustard seeds and cover the pan when the mustard seeds starts to crackle.
Note : crackling of the mustards seeds is important. Crackling indicates that the seeds are no longer raw.
- Add hing / asafetida. Saute for few seconds.
- Next add kalonji seeds and fenugreek seeds. Sauté these for few seconds.
- Next add ground masala. Sauté the masala for few seconds.
- Later add sliced onion and sauté them till onion becomes translucent.
- Add turmeric powder, kolhapuri masala powder, ginger paste and garlic paste. Blend it with rest of the masala.
- Next add chopped tomatoes. Sauté till onion and tomato combines together and becomes mushy.
- Then add diced potatoes. Mix it well with cooked masala.
- Later add water and salt. Blend everything together and then cover the pan with a lid and cook for 8-10 minutes on medium flame.
- Add cardamom powder, salt and sugar. Stir it.
- Cover with a lid and cook rassa for 10 minutes fir 8-10 minutes on medium flame.
- Later add chopped coriander and cook for a minute more. Your rassa is ready to be served.
- Serving Pulao with Rassa
- You are now ready to serve the Pulao with rassa.