Vegan Carrot-Green pasta is one of the healthiest pastas. With growing awareness of health benefits of vegan diet, I wanted to come up with a recipe which I could enjoy without feeling guilty.
The sauce for this dish is made from carrot greens and nuts. I have already discussed the nutrition values of carrot greens in my recipe for the Carrot Green Soup.
Pasta is one of the most beloved dishes out there. While making this dish I have substituted milk, cream and refined flour sauce with almond and cashew paste. Also I have used vegan parmesan cheese.
This vegan carrot-green pasta is also Sattvic as I have reframed from using onions and garlic. But for all those who like onion and garlic in their dish, you can add 1 tsp of minced garlic and 1 small onion finely chopped to enhance the flavors.
About Vegan Carrot-Green Pasta
The vegan carrot-green pasta tastes amazing with all the right flavors. The idea for this recipe came to me when I was creating my carrot green vegan soup recipe.
Though the vegan carrot-green pasta is very easy to make, it requires more cooking time than normal. But the extra cooking time is worth the benefits.
I also experimented this dish with crisp-bread and flat bread crackers. And I must say I really loved it. Crisp-bread and flat bread crackers are easily available in market and they also come in different flavors.
To make my recipe even more healthy, I used whole wheat pasta. While wheat flour pasta has a wheaty taste, it is not overpowering. And to have a normal pasta experience, cook the boiled pasta in the sauce to infuse the flavors in it. Same is the case with carrot green. Follow all the boiling and cooking time as mentioned to have vegan, sattvic and super healthy dish that tastes just as great.
So try out this recipe and let me know if this was your tummy-to-heart moment…
50g carrot greens
(carrot leaves along with its steams)
3/4 tsp black pepper powder
3/4 tsp thyme
3/4 tsp oregano
3/4 tsp chives
3/4 tsp salt for pasta sauce
40g almonds soaked overnight
20g cashews soaked for 1 hour
2 cups water for pasta sauce
8 Cherry tomatoes or
any baby tomatoes of your choice
200g capsicum, sliced
1 tsp olive oil
160 g wheat pasta. I used Penne pasta
3 cups water for boiling pasta
1 tsp salt for boiling pasta
1/2 cup water for green puree
2 tbsp corn starch
1/4 water for cornstarch paste
Vegan Parmesan cheese or
any vegan cheese of your choice (grated)
- In a pan pour 3 cups of water and add ¾ tsp salt.
- Bring water to boiling point and add pasta. Boil pasta for 13-15 minutes.
- Later strain pasta and keep it aside for further use.
- In a small bowl mix corn starch and ¼ cup water. Keep it aside for further use
- In a mixer grinder add corn green and ½ cup water. Grind to a fine puree consistency.
- In a pan add 1 tsp olive oil and heat it. Add sliced capsicum and carrots. Sauté them for 2 minutes on medium flame
- Grind almond and cashew to a very fine paste. Pour just ½ cup water for grinding. In all the whole mix should be 1 cup.
- Making the Pasta
- In a pan / wok add green puree and 2 cups of water. Boil the liquid green for 5 minutes.
- Next add almond and cashew mix and stir it.
Note : use whisker to remove any lumps.
- Add thyme, black pepper, salt, oregano and chives. Blend it.
- Boil the sauce for 10 minutes at medium flame. Then add the cornstarch paste.
- Next add boiled pasta and cook in the sauce for 5 minutes. Stirring it occasionally.
Note : cooking of wheat pasta in the sauce is needed to infuse the flavors with the pasta making it taste much better.
- Later add stir fried vegetables and cook for 2 minutes or till the flavors blend.
- Later turn off the flame and your pasta is ready.
- Serve it in a pasta plate or bowl with large shaving of vegan parmesan cheese, sliced olives, sliced tomatoes, sage or basil on top. Serve it with crisp bread or flavored cracker or garlic bread.